Designed for both music and video creators, the Zoom Q8 Handy Video Recorder combines HD video recording with Zoom’s high-quality audio capture technology. It features a wide-angle 160° lens to capture the entire scene or stage, and records beyond Full HD resolution video up to 2304×1296 at 30 fps. On the audio side, the Q8 records up to 24-bit/96 kHz audio and inherits the interchangeable microphone system of Zoom’s H5 and H6 recorders, making it compatible with a variety of optional mic capsules. Included with the Q8 is a 120° X/Y stereo condenser microphone capsule well-suited to capturing live events, concerts, or videos of yourself playing with studio-quality sound. The Q8 also features dual XLR/TRS inputs for inputting professional microphone and line-level sources, giving you up to four simultaneous channels of audio when combined with the X/Y mic capsule.
In addition to 2304×2196 video recording, the Q8 can capture 1080p video at 30 fps and 720p video at 60 or 30 fps to SD/SDHC/SDXC memory cards up to 128GB in size. It can also record WVGA video at 60 or 30 fps when lower file sizes are needed. Video can be monitored on a flip-out 2.7″ touchscreen LCD, which also provides a convenient interface for adjusting video and audio settings. A micro HDMI port allows you to connect the camcorder to your HDTV to watch your footage. When it comes to recording audio, the Q8 provides a lot of options. When highest-quality audio is needed, you can record using 16 or 24-bit uncompressed WAV formats at 96, 48, or 44.1 kHz. When audio quality isn’t as important and you want to save space on your SD card, you can choose to record audio using the compressed AAC format with bit rates from 64 to 320 kbps. A headphone/line output jack is provided for monitoring your audio.
By connecting the Q8 to your computer via USB you can use it as a card reader or a USB microphone. You can even use it as a high-quality USB webcam to stream audio and video. The USB port also provides power for charging the included 1700mAh lithium-ion battery. Also included with the Q8 are a foam windscreen, USB cable, and a 1/4″-20 to three-prong adapter for use with GoPro-style mounting accessories.
- Beyond HD Recording
- The Q8 captures up to 2304×1296 video at 30 fps, which gives you more resolution than Full HD 1080p. The extra resolution is useful when you want to crop or reframe a shot. You can also record in standard 1080p at 30 fps, as well as 720p video at 30 or 60 fps. Additionally, you can choose to record lower resolution WVGA formats when smaller file sizes are needed. Video is recorded in the .MOV format.
- 160° Wide-Angle Lens
- With a wide 160° angle of view, the Q8’s lens captures nearly everything in front of it. This lets you get the camera closer to the action to record clearer audio of your subject, while still capturing the entire scene. When an ultra-wide perspective isn’t what you’re after, a step-zoom feature lets you select from five narrower FOV options for tighter-framed shots.
- High-Quality Audio Recording
- The Q8 gives you the same high-quality audio formats as Zoom’s dedicated audio recorders. You can record in AAC and WAV formats, up to 24-bit/96 kHz. Outboard audio controls and a touchscreen LCD let you quickly adjust and fine-tune your audio settings, including adjusting volume, gain, and low-cut filter. Audio can be recorded along with video or separately, enabling the Q8 to function as a standalone four-channel audio recorder.
- Detachable Stereo X/Y Condenser Microphone Capsule
- The Q8 comes equipped with a detachable X/Y stereo microphone capsule that features two matched unidirectional condenser microphones set at 120° apart. The microphones feature a maximum sound pressure input of 140 dB SPL and an input gain up to +47 dB. Because the capsule is detachable, the camera is also compatible with other Zoom microphone capsules. This means that if you already own an H5 or H6, you can swap capsules between devices.
Note: EXH-6 TRS/XLR Combo Capsule is not compatible with the Q8.
- Dual XLR/TRS Combo Inputs
- Dual XLR/TRS combo jacks let you input audio from external microphones and line-level sources. Each input has selectable phantom power and -20 dB pads.
Input Gain (PAD off): -∞ to 55 dB
Input Gain (PAD on): -∞ to 35 dB
Input Impedance: 1.8 kOhms or more
Maximum Input Level: +22 dBu (PAD on)
Phantom Power: +12 / +24 / +48V
Equivalent Input Noise: -120 dBu or less
- 2.7″ LCD Touchscreen
- The 2.7″ LCD touchscreen can be rotated to be viewed from a variety of angles. When the screen is positioned to face the front of the camera, the image rotates so it is right side up. This is useful when recording videos of yourself playing. The touchscreen interface makes it easy to adjust video and audio settings.
- USB Microphone/Webcam
- By connecting to a computer using a USB cable, you can use this recorder as a card reader or USB mic, as well as a web camera to stream audio and video. You can also connect it to an iPad using the optional Apple Camera Connection Kit. The camera is compatible with Ustream Producer, Flash Live Media Encoder, Skype, and other popular streaming applications.
Operation as Mass Storage: USB 2.0 High Speed
Operation as Audio Interface: Class: USB 2.0 Full Speed, 16-bit/44.1 kHz
Operation as Webcam: WVGA/720p video size, 16-bit/48 kHz audio
- Scene Presets
- Choose among three different lighting settings. For most situations, choosing “Auto” will give you the best results, as it adjusts lighting conditions automatically. You can also select “Concert Lighting”, which is better suited for live shows, concerts, and other situations with bright lights, or “Night” for maximizing results when recording at night or in dark environments.
- Lighting Settings
- Choose among three different lighting settings. For most situations, choosing “Auto” will give you the best, clearest results, as it adjusts lighting conditions automatically. You can also select “Concert Lighting”, which is better suited for live shows, concerts, and other situations with bright lights. Choose “Night” for maximizing results when recording at night or in dark environments.
- Camera Mounting
- In addition to a 1/4″-20 threaded hole, the Zoom Q8 can be used with GoPro-compatible mounts using the included 1/4″-20 to three-prong adapter. This makes it easy to attach the camera to a mic stand, clamp it to a guitar, or place it anywhere onstage or rehearsal room.
- Additional Features
- Records to SD/SDHC/SDXC memory cards up to 128GB
- Built-in audio mixer
- Stereo link function
- MS Matrix function converts Mid-Side signal from external mics to standard stereo
- Low-cut filter (80 Hz, 120 Hz, 160 Hz)
- Dynamics control (Limiter, Compressor, Leveler)
- Combo headphones/line output jack for audio monitoring
- Built-in 400MW monaural speaker
- HDMI output for connection to HDTVs; selectable between NTSC and PAL
- 1700mAh Lithium-ion battery provides more than two hours when shooting at 720p 30 fps (longer in audio-only recording)
- Foam windscreen included